Monthly Archives: July 2016

CCTV and Data Protection

CCTV – Don’t fall foul of the Data Protection Act!

CCTV Data Protection

Many retailers, pubs, restaurants, hotels and other businesses have CCTV for security. CCTV and recording images of people are covered by the Data Protection Act. This means, if you have CCTV to monitor people in and around your premises, you must register with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) under the Data Protection Act.

Extract from the Information Commissioners web site on CCTV Data Protection

‘The UK is recognised as a leading user of CCTV and the public are used to seeing CCTV cameras on virtually every high street. Such systems continue to enjoy general public support but they do involve intrusion into the lives of ordinary people as they go about their day to day business and can raise wider privacy concerns.

We know from our research that the public expect CCTV to be used responsibly with proper safeguards in place. We have therefore issued guidance to help organisations who use CCTV to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and to help them inspire public confidence that they are using CCTV responsibly.

Images of people are covered by the Data Protection Act, and so is information about people which is derived from images – for example, vehicle registration numbers. Most uses of CCTV by organisations or businesses will be covered by the Act, regardless of the number of cameras or how sophisticated the equipment is.’

CCTV Data Protection Code of Practice

The CCTV code of practice provides guidance and advice for CCTV users on how to comply with the Data Protection Act and also includes a simple checklist for users of very limited CCTV systems where the full provisions of the code would be too detailed.

Download ({8ee99a90b51e2217d12101096daf2ee9e40c43b9c2fa413e32f91dd0a196a214}TYPE, {8ee99a90b51e2217d12101096daf2ee9e40c43b9c2fa413e32f91dd0a196a214}SIZE)

CCTV in Pubs

The ICO has received a number of enquiries from pub landlords on the issue of CCTV installation being made a condition for obtaining, or continuing, a licence to sell alcohol.

I’m sure this applies to restaurants, cafés, wine bars and hotels as well as pubs.

Here is some additional ICO information and FAQs for pubs:

Download ({8ee99a90b51e2217d12101096daf2ee9e40c43b9c2fa413e32f91dd0a196a214}TYPE, {8ee99a90b51e2217d12101096daf2ee9e40c43b9c2fa413e32f91dd0a196a214}SIZE)

Download ({8ee99a90b51e2217d12101096daf2ee9e40c43b9c2fa413e32f91dd0a196a214}TYPE, {8ee99a90b51e2217d12101096daf2ee9e40c43b9c2fa413e32f91dd0a196a214}SIZE)

For full details on the above go to ICO Web Site -CCTV


The above is not exhaustive and is for guidance only and you should consult your accountant, other professional adviser or the Information Commissioners Office before taking action on any of the above. See the Disclaimer

Share on Google+Share on LinkedInTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone